An Aadhaar is a unique 12-digit number which is issued to every resident living in India based on their demographic and biometric data. The Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) collects essential data and stores it in their secured database for further processing. Eaadhaar is a softcopy that serves as of original one.
Aadhaar Services And Benefits
The UIDAI provides a platform for Aadhaar that helps authorities to electronically validate the identity of residents safely and quickly. The online Aadhaar portal also makes service delivery more economical and effective. The Aadhar services provided online are mentioned here –
- A resident who wants to register for EAadhaar can locate various bank/post office Aadhar centres – for enrolment or updation in Aadhar.
- After the registration is complete, the resident can check the status of Aadhar application online.
- To verify if the Aadhaar number is valid and is not deactivated, an Aadhaar cardholder can avail the UIDAI service.
- UIDAI also allows a resident to verify email ID and mobile number by accessing the online service.
- Aadhar authentication is safe because the cardholder can use UIDAI service to lock and unlock their biometrics.
- A resident can check if an Aadhaar card is linked to the bank account through the service that fetches the linking status from NPCI Server.
- The facility to check Aadhaar Authentication history lets a cardholder view the details of authentication done with his/her Aadhar card.
Eligibility for Aadhar Card
- Any resident of India including newborns and minors. Read about EAadhaar card for child now to know more about Baal Aadhaar card.
The process of Aadhar enrolment includes visiting the respective Enrolment Centre, filling the form, submitting the address and ID documents, getting the biometric and demographic data captured, and finally, receiving an acknowledgement slip that has the Enrolment ID.
The UIDAI accepts several PoA (Proof of Address) and PoI (Proof of Identity) documents. One can go to an authorised Aadhar enrolment centre with these documents required for Aadhaar card to enrol his/her name. The UIDAI also has options for those who do not have valid proofs.
The UIDAI provides an updated list from which a resident would be able to know where to enrol for Aadhaar card.
How To Download/Print Aadhaar Card?
If a resident has enrolled for Aadhar card but has not received the physical copy, he/she can download it online from the UIDAI website. The PDF version of Aadhaar card can be downloaded from the portal. The e-Aadhaar can be printed and it is equally accepted everywhere. The resident can either download and print the Aadhar soft copy or use it in its digital version. Read about how to download Aadhaar card online for more details about the process.
How To Update Aadhaar Details Online?
There are two primary reasons why a resident might need to update the Aadhaar details online – 1. To update Demographic Aadhar data, 2. To update Biometric Aadhar data.
Demographic Update About Aadhar Data
- Modifications in some life events like marriage might lead to a resident changing his/her basic demographic information such as address, name, and contact number.
- A resident might also need modifications in his/her relative’s information due to a change in life event like death, marriage, etc.
- There might be errors while enrolling because a resident’s demographic details might have been captured incorrectly.
- A resident can modify the enrolled local language to some other, which he/she prefers. In such cases, all the demographic details printed on an Aadhaar have to be changed into the new language.
- The UIDAI (Unique Identification Authority of India) might also determine the availabilities of POI (Proof of Identity), POA (Proof of Address) and a few other papers collected during enrolling/updating the demographic details.
Biometric Update About Aadhar Data
- A child is eligible to re-enrol for Aadhaar when he/she attains 5 years, provided that all his/her biometric details are submitted. This request is treated as a fresh enrolment request but retaining the actual Aadhaar number issued to him/her in Baal Aadhar card.
- The resident must furnish all his/her biometrics as soon as he/she reaches 15 years so that the date is updated.
- Events such as diseases or accidents can lead to biometric exceptions.
- The UIDAI might validate the biometric quality captured at the time of update/enrolment and determine a threshold. A resident whose biometrics is below the defined threshold level might be notified to update them as soon as possible.
For every change or correction that is made, a support document is required for proof. These are the two ways by which a cardholder can provide the necessary documents as proof.
Aadhaar Card Verification
To verify an Aadhaar card online, an applicant should have his/her UIN (Unique Identification Number) or Aadhaar number. The steps involved in the process are very simple and easy to follow. The step-by-step Aadhaar card verification can be done online through the official UIDAI website after the residents have registered for the Aadhar card and have obtained the Aadhaar Enrolment number.
Know More About Aadhaar
- How to change the address on Aadhaar card through online?
Step 1: Visit the Self Service Update Portal.
Step 2: Select the fields to be updated.
Step 3: Fill in the selected fields with required information in both English as well as regional language (if applicable). Mention the address in full.
Step 4: Submit the application after which a Update Request Number (URN) will be generated.
Step 5: Attach scanned copies of the Proof of Address documents in the link provided.
- How to register mobile number in Aadhaar card?
A mobile number can be registered in an Aadhaar card by visiting the nearest Aadhaar Enrolment Centre. The resident has to fill in the Aadhaar Enrolment/Correction Form and mention the mobile number. There is no need to provide any proof or document for the process.
- How to check Aadhaar card status?
An acknowledgement slip that has Enrolment number is received by the applicant after the Aadhaar enrolment process is complete. The enrolment number is used to check Aadhaar card status and know whether the card is generated, shipped or is still being processed.
- How to check if Aadhaar card is dispatched?
Residents can check the status of Aadhaar on the UIDAI website and find out whether it has been dispatched or not.
Frequently Asked Questions On Aadhar
- Can I apply for Aadhaar card online?
Aadhaar is a 12-digit number which contains biometric and demographic details of a resident. The Aadhar request form can be downloaded online from UIDAI website and filled in with required information like name, address, etc. But the biometrics of the resident has to be provided by visiting any nearest Aadhar Enrolment Centre.
- How can I take Aadhaar card?
A resident can get Aadhar card by enrolling in the process at any nearest Aadhaar Enrolment Centre.
- Can Aadhaar card be made online?
No, Aadhaar card cannot be made online. However, residents can download its PDF version from the online portal of UIDAI. The e-Aadhaar card is equally accepted everywhere like the original Aadhaar letter.
- How to find Aadhaar number?
Step-1. Click on the ‘Retrieve Lost UID/EID’ option by visiting the website.
Step-2. Check the box that says EAadhar Number.
Step-3. Fill in the required details like name, email ID, mobile number, etc. in specific fields.
Step-4. Enter the security ‘Captcha’ code as mentioned on the page.
Step-5. Enter the One Time Password (OTP) sent to the registered mobile number. The required Aadhar UID number would be sent to the same registered number of the cardholder.
- How long is the Aadhar card valid?
The Aadhaar card or the Aadhar number is valid for life.
- Are e-Aadhar and the Aadhar card the same thing?
Yes, Aadhar card and e-Aadhaar are same. The only is that the Aadhar card is a document sent to the resident via mail by UIDAI while the e-Aadhaar is downloaded from the UIDAI website.
- Can I have more than one Aadhar card?
No, each person is allowed only one card.
- What is the fee charged for getting an Aadhar card?
The Aadhar program is completely voluntary and free of charge, so no one is required to pay anything for enrolling for Aadhar.
- How do I collect my Aadhaar card once it’s issued?
The Aadhaar card will be sent via mail to the address that has been provided at the time of registering.